Get to Know Your Judicial Candidates
- A resource provided by the Knoxville Bar Association. Learn about the Knoxville courts, review candidate profiles, and browse informative links.
HOW TO FIND OUT ABOUT JUDICIAL CANDIDATES
Voters are encouraged to make independent, informed decisions about candidates for public office. However, it can be hard for the average person to decide among judicial candidates because most voters don't know much about them. This is because most citizens do not routinely interact with judges in their communities, so they tend to know very little about how judges conduct themselves in the course of doing their jobs. In addition, state rules do not allow judicial candidates to discuss their views on controversial issues because judges must be impartial on the bench; if they discuss their personal beliefs, they might appear to be prejudiced toward a particular viewpoint.
QUESTIONS TO ASK ABOUT A JUDICIAL CANDIDATE:
• As an attorney, did the candidate handle a variety of cases such as tax law, divorce, etc.?
• If the candidate is a judge, has he/she presided over a variety of trials?
• What is the opinion of practicing attorneys regarding the candidate?
• Is the candidate considered impartial?
• Does the candidate possess a deep commitment to the law?
The information included on this site is limited to candidates for judicial office in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you are looking for additional information about these candidates, or judicial candidates in others areas throughout Tennessee, including the Supreme Court, below are some links to help you make an informed decision about the candidates.
"Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education."
— Franklin D. Roosevelt
Other Souces for Candidate Information