About the KBA:
Organization's Who’s Who
Leaders of the Knoxville Bar Association.
Barristers- the Young Lawyers Division
2014 Barristers Executive Committee
The School Outreach Committee develops and implements projects designed to educate area high schoolers regarding the justice system. This year the Committee will continue to work on the “When You Become 18” project.
School Outreach Committee Activities
Nominations Being Accepted for Barristers Law & Liberty Award
The Knoxville Barristers is soliciting your nominations for the 2014 Law and Liberty Award. As you may know, the Law and Liberty Award annually recognizes members of our community who have used the legal system and process to advance and protect personal, political, and civil liberties in our community. The winner of this year's award will be announced at the Law Day Luncheon on May 2.
The criteria for determining the Law and Liberty Award recipient are as follows:
• The recipient should be visible to the legal profession and local bar association.
• The recipient should strive to foster and to maintain good relationships between the legal profession and the community.
• The recipient should work to advance the understanding of the law and legal processes in the non-legal community.
• The recipient should set an example of good citizenship.
• The recipient should give time for volunteer work, both within the legal profession and otherwise.
• The recipient should evidence high professional standards in his or her occupation.
• The recipient should express concern for the safeguard of personal, political, civil, and religious liberties.
• The recipient should not let adversity prevent him or her from striving to achieve goals.
• The recipient should be someone whose work is not normally recognized.
Please note that nominees do not have to be attorneys to qualify for the Law and Liberty Award. Consider those individuals in your firm, in local civic and religious organizations, or in the community who have worked to improve our legal system and protect our civil liberties. Finally, please pass this request to others in your firm and ask that they also submit their suggested nominees.
E-mail your nomination to the Barristers School Outreach/Law Week Committee Chair Casey Carrigan (email@example.com) or Matt Sherrod (firstname.lastname@example.org). Include a brief description of the nominee's qualifications for the Law and Liberty Award. Nominations must be received by April 15, 2014. The award recipient will be chosen by the Barristers Executive Committee. Thank you for your interest in the 2014 Law and Liberty Award.
Click to view the "When You Turn 18" book which the School Outreach Committee helped distribute in area high schools.